Tuesday, April 27, 2010

An Apple A Day...



Or more like a shot glass of Apple Cider Vinegar a day helps keep the doctor away.

Today we are discussing Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) and it's myriad of uses. I have been hearing about ACV for years now as my mother feels its natures cure all. Not only is it good for you on the inside, its good for you on the outside and can also be used as an effective household cleaning solution. One day I will have to try the cleaning part out.
A Little History...
Apple Cider Vinegar is made from fresh, organic crushed apples which are then allowed to mature naturally in wooden barrels. ACV has a long history as a medicinal, internal cleanser, antiseptic, food flavoring, stain remover and hygienic. ACV was used by Hippocrates the founder of Western medicine, the ancient Egyptians, Babylonians, Greeks, Romans, Japanese Samurai warriors and even Christopher Columbus to counteract scurvy on his ocean voyages.

Today many are put off by its brownish, unfiltered, cloudy look and have turned to the clear distilled product we find today in our local supermarket aisle.  In distilling, the vinegar is turned to steam by heating, thus destroying the powerful enzymes and evaporating the life-giving minerals making the clear distilled vinegar you are using void of any nutritional value. Its real use is only for cleaning purposes by then. The benefits of ACV are:
  
Internal Benefits:
  • Rich in enzymes and potassium
  • Support a healthy immune system
  • Helps control weight
  • Promotes digestion & pH balance
  • Helps soothe dry throats
  • Helps remove body sludge toxins
External Benefits:
  • Helps maintain healthy skin and hair
  • Helps promote youthful, healthy bodies
  • Soothes irritated skin
  • Relieves muscle pain from exercise
My Experience With Apple Cider Vinegar
My first encounter with ACV came when I started suffering from chronic heartburn at night. My mother advised me to use ACV instead of Nexium (the little purple pill). ACV sounded like I would be putting out fire with gasoline however as usual my mom was right as my heartburn soon disappeared without prescription medication. After that I learned that an ACV shot (as in shot glass not needle) a day helps keep the doctor away. I use ACV for good skin, acne, maintaining my ideal weight and for removing the shampoo residue off my hair. For that I mix equal parts of ACV with distilled water, then I shampoo with my normal product, rinse, then pour the ACV solution on my hair, wait a minute then rinse with cold water, no need for conditioner after. My hair is so shiny and soft afterward; I get compliments from strangers on the street. 

So if your supermarket doesn't carry organic Apple Cider Vinegar any health food store should. I myself prefer Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar and they have a great website that lets you know all you need to know about Apple Cider Vinegar and all its benefits.



Thanks!

0 comments:

Post a Comment