Sunday, October 10, 2010

In Defiance of the Amway Borgs (and Other "Dilution" Deluders)

A few years ago, I had a neighbor who decided that Amway was going to be her ticket to riches. She invited me over to one of those "assimilation" meetings, only I wouldn't let them assimilate me. I asked if I could look over one of their glossy phone book-thick catalogs instead and get back to them (I wanted to compare prices).

I leafed through the thing until I found some food items I would be interested in (a lot of it was convenience food), then compared the price per unit...no go. Then, I moved on to their cleaning products, knowing all too well about the dilution I would have to do. After calculating the price per TEASPOON, they were STILL too expensive!! All their hype and fluff, and they STILL couldn't beat good ol' generic products for price.

Calculations for teaspoon:
1 cup = 48 teaspoons
1 tablespoon = 3 teaspoons
1 teaspoon = .167 oz.

Find the price per ounce for the product in question, and then multiply that price per oz. by .167, and the result will give you the price per teaspoon.

You'll also find that the prices of bleach, rubbing alcohol, vinegar, baking soda, and other rock-bottom dilutable cleaners are even cheaper still!

Wave YOUR teaspoon in defiance when the Amway Borgs (or any other "diluters") come banging on your door.

Good Rule of Thumb: If they have to bring it to your door (and you didn't order it), they're getting desperate for sales. This applies to Avon, Amway, Shaklee, and other door-to-door companies. Their products are more expensive and no better then stuff found in stores--someone's gotta pay for that catalog, website, and delivery!

0 comments:

Post a Comment